Sunday, July 12

Esscom DG denies fisherman kidnapping case

0

KUALA LUMPUR: Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) director-general Datuk Mohamad Mantek has denied that a kidnapping case involving a fisherman happened in Pulau Mubul, Sabah, yesterday, as had been reported by a news portal yesterday.

Instead, he said in Tuesday’s incident, two fishermen were detained by individuals in a speedboat between Pulau Denawan and Mabul.

“They were not kidnapped but detained and released within 24 hours. Nothing untoward happened,” he said when contacted by Bernama.

He also said the group had no links with the Sulu army.

An English news portal (Star online) had reported that a group of about 20 heavily-armed gunmen abducted a fisherman and demanded to be guided to a holiday resort on Pulau Mabul, but were taken to an army camp on the island instead.

Mohamad said police had recorded statements from the victims and were investigating the motive and the strength of the group. — Bernama