KOTA KINABALU: The opening night of PITaPAT Theatre’s drama production of MERAH kicked off the month-long Kota Kinabalu Arts Festival (KK Arts Festival) 2014 last evening at Tun Hamdan Theatre in the Tun Mustapha Tower (formerly known as Yayasan Sabah building).
Attending the local theatre company’s opening night production were the Society of Performing Arts, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (SPArKS) president Roger Wang; SPArKS’ advisor Susan Bansin and Kota Kinabalu International Film Festival’s festival director Jude Day.
MERAH’s opening night is the first of the 22 events planned for the month of June, said Wang. “This year, the KK Arts Festival starts on May 30 – taking advantage of the Harvest Festival holiday – and ends on June 29.”
According to Wang, the KK Arts Festival is made up of seven festivals and events that are put together by seven local organisations who are passionately committed to the advancement of arts for the people of Kota Kinabalu.
Besides the drama production MERAH by PITaPAT Theatre (https://www.facebook.com/PitapatTheatre), the Arts Festival 2014 also features:
• the Kota Kinabalu International Film Festival (June 6-12) organised by the Kota Kinabalu International Film Festival committee (http://www.kkiff.com),
• Introduction to acting workshop, conducted by Glamorique Arshad, and organised by SPArKS,
• the Borneo International Storytelling Festival (June 12) organised by Kiddo Family Fun (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kiddofamilyfun),
• the Kota Kinabalu Jazz Festival (June 13 and 14) jointly organised by Rotary Club of Kota Kinabalu and SPArKS (http://kkjazzfest.com),
• Synergy Dance Studio’s dance production “The Legend of Kinabalu” (June 15) (http://mysynergydance.com) and
• Green Leaf Theatre House’s drama production “Black & White Rainbow” (June 27-29) (http://greenleaftheatre.org).
Tickets for all the KK Arts Festival events can be purchased from its official ticketing outlet located in BreadBoss Bakery Cafe, next to the Damai multi-purpose hall. The ticketing outlet is open daily from 11am to 6pm. Interested parties may call or send text messages to the Ticketing Hotline 017-809 8395 or go to www.kkartsfest.com.