Tuesday, November 12

Explosion shocks foreign students out of sleep

0

MIRI: Two foreign students from a private institution of higher learning in Senadin had the scare of their lives after hearing an explosion inside their rented double-storey house early Friday.

Eddy (right) pointing at the refrigerator, which is believed to have triggered the explosion and the subsequent fire.

Woken up by the loud bang, the two panicked and scrambled out of their rooms and the house.

Two fire engines from Lopeng station with nine firemen aboard, led by its chief Supt Eddy Zulfikli Abdullah, arrived at the scene minutes after receiving the distressed call around 7.30am.

They managed to put out a fire that broke out, at 7.51am.

Based on initial investigations, it appeared that the explosion was triggered by a refrigerator in the kitchen, which walls and some parts for the surrounding area were blackened due to the flames.

There were no injuries reported in the incident, as the students managed to get out of the house to safety. A probe on the fire is underway.