Phone interception reveals ‘crown prince’ gave ‘green light’ to attack cops – officer


KOTA KINABALU: The High Court here was yesterday told that a phone interception revealed that the late self-proclaimed Sultanate of Sulu crown prince Agbimuddin Kiram had given the ‘green light’ to attack the Malaysian police if there was something going to happen.

Supervising officer of the communication interception division, Muhammad Fauzarri Jaidin, told Justice Stephen Chung that in the phone call made by the accused Al Wazir Osman @ Abdul, Datu Agbimuddin told Al Wazir that their 200 men could defeat Malaysia and they (referring to 200 men) could attack the police if anything happened.

The 89th witness further testified that Al Wazir, who is known as ‘Panglima’ (commando) in the Sultanate of Sulu army, had informed Datu Agbimuddin that their 200 men had arrived at Pukat, and asked Datu Agbimuddin to be alert at all times.

To a question under examination-in-chief by deputy public prosecutor Datuk Abdul Wahab Mohamed, the witness also said during that conversation, between February 21 and 22, 2013, Al Wazir and Datu Agbimuddin were communicating in Suluk.

The witness further said there were 10 communication interceptions made on Al Wazir’s phone number 0128284091 for the purpose of Ops Sulu (which was later known as Ops Daulat).

“In another phone call made by Al Wazir to Datu Agbimuddin, Al Wazir told Datu Agbimuddin that Omar Mama (second highest ranking police officer in Kota Kinabalu) would come along with them,” the witness said in explaining the summary of the result of the communication interception.

The witness said in another phone call made between March 24 and 25, 2013 by Datu Agbimuddin to Al Wazir, Al Wazir was informed that he (Datu Agbimuddin) had informed one Imam Tua to be on the alert that night as it was said that ‘they’ would come that night.

The witness also explained that the use of the inverted commas in their communication interceptions was to refer to parties who only the persons involved in the conversations knew who they were.

To another question by Abdul Wahab, the witness further testified that Al Wazir had also made calls and received calls from other persons to talk about developments of the intrusion.

The witness had made a total of 73 communication interceptions on the phone numbers of 10 accused persons, including Al Wazir and the nephew of the late Sulu Sultanate III, Datu Jamalul Kiram.

“There were 16 communication interceptions made on the phone number of Datu Amirbahar Hushin Kiram in the context of the intrusion incident at Kampung Tanduo in Lahad Datu,” said the witness.

The trial was against Al Wazir, Datu Amirbahar and 28 others who were arrested for allegedly committing terrorism acts at several places in Lahad Datu, Semporna, Kunak and Sandakan between February 12 and April 10, 2013.

They are liable to the mandatory death sentence while the rest face an imprisonment for life and a fine, upon conviction.

The trial held at a hall which doubled as an open court at the Kepayan prisons here under tight security checks by police and prison personnel will continue today.