KOTA KINABALU: Mountain climbers keen on summiting Mt Kinabalu may finally get a chance to do so this coming December.
According to Tourism, Culture and Environment minister Datuk Masidi Manjun during a press conference at his office yesterday, they were targetting to open the trail to the summit on Dec 1.
“We are taking a bit of time because we need the expertise. We are very careful in installing the new trail(s) from Panar Laban (6.3 kilometres) to Sayat-Sayat (6.8 kilometres),” he said.
“We are still plagued with the issue of large boulders of stones that could be found along the path. We are worried that in the event of an earth movement, the boulders may move/fall,” he elaborated.
To check the stability of the boulders, experts have been engaged to help them identify which ones were unstable, he said.
“We would like to avoid using the place with these boulders…we are considering several alternative routes but these will be steeper and climbers will be guaranteed more adventure and a tougher climb,” he cautioned. From Sept 1, climbers will be allowed to travel all the way up to Laban Rata. Only 100 climbers are allowed to climb and stay overnight at the facilities available at Laban Rata, he said.
“The facility still needs further rectification work after the quake,” he said. Masidi also mentioned that he had been bombarded with requests from people keen to climb the mountain. He reminded that bookings to summit the mountain hasn’t been open yet, so no decisions have been made on the matter.