HUTAN MELINTANG: The bodies of 26 more victims of the capsized boat in the waters off Sabak Bernam were discovered yesterday, bringing the total number of people killed in the tragedy to 57.
Hilir Perak police chief, ACP Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said the bodies of 23 men and three women were found by the search team between 7am and 11am.
“The bodies were discovered about eight nautical miles from the location of the incident, the same spot where the two bodies were found earlier today (yesterday),” he told reporters at the search and rescue operations centre at Hutan Melintang jetty, here.
He said the bodies arrived at the jetty at 4pm and subsequently taken to the Sabak Bernam Hospital and Kuala Lumpur Hospital for post mortem and identification.
Mohd Shuhaily said seven agencies including Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency, Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM), Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) and Civil Defence Department (JPAM) were involved in the fourth day of the search and rescue operations.
So far, the bodies of 23 women, a girl and 33 men have been recovered, while 20 people, including a woman were rescued after the boat ferrying 70 passengers capsized in
Selangor waters on Thursday morning.
The 13-metre long boat overturned while on the way from Kuala Sungai Bernam to Tanjong Balai, Indonesia.
It sank about nine nautical miles southwest of Tanjong Sauh. — Bernama