Thursday, July 18

All systems go for Pesta 1Singai

0
Dato Henry Harry Jinep

Dato Henry Harry Jinep

KUCHING: Pesta 1Singai has received the go-ahead to be held from Nov 27 to 29 at the 1Singai Tondong Commercial Centre here.

Organising chairman Dato Henry Harry Jinep said the opening ceremony, which would begin at 3pm on the first day, would be declared open by Minister of Infrastructure Development and Communications Dato Sri Michael Manyin.

Land Development Minister Tan Sri Datuk Amar Dr James Masing and Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Anthony Nogeh Gumbek are expected to attend the closing ceremony on Sunday (Nov 29) at 7pm, he added.

“Pesta 1Singai has grown in popularity since it was first held last year. We expect a lot of people to take advantage of the school holidays to visit this festival, to join the activities and to buy products and services from participating young entrepreneurs,” he told The Borneo Post yesterday.

“We have also lined up a variety of local bands and artistes to entertain visitors. There will also be a special appearance by popular comedian Mr Os after the launching ceremony.”

Henry, who is also Putra Sentosa Group of Companies chief executive officer, disclosed that activities for youths during the festival would include a children’s colouring competition, street soccer challenge and street sepak takraw challenge.

There would also be a zumba exercise demonstration, martial arts show, an investment talk, blood donation drive, pap smear check, big bikers show and lucky draws.

The highlight will be the 1Singai Merdeka Beauty Queen Pageant to be held on Nov 28.

Putra Sentosa Development Sdn Bhd developed the 1Singai Tondong Commercial Centre near Tondong Bazaar and according to Henry, the carnival is run by the company as a corporate social responsibility (CSR) event as a way of giving back to the local community.