Monday, August 15

Highest priority attention


CSI team from Bukit Aman in Miri to assist investigation into the killing of activist, PKR member Bill Kayong

Family and friends of the late Bill Kayong wait outside the mortuary at Miri Hospital where the post-mortem took place.

Family and friends of the late Bill Kayong wait outside the mortuary at Miri Hospital where the post-mortem took place.

KUCHING: A forensic Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) team from Bukit Aman arrived in Miri yesterday to assist the special task force that has been formed to investigate the slaying of Bill Kayong.

State CID chief SAC Dev Kumar, who heads the special task force, said the CSI team would reprocess the crime scene and the victim’s vehicle.

He said no arrest had been made thus far.

“The task force is investigating all possible angles of the murder. We are unable to divulge further details at the moment, but the public can be rest assured that we are giving this case the highest priority,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Bill, who was an activist and PKR Miri branch secretary, was killed in a drive-by shooting at a traffic light intersection in front of E-mart commercial centre at about 8.30am on Tuesday.

Dev Kumar reminded members of the public and associates of the victim to refrain from speculating over the motive of the crime.

“As I have said before, we are not treating this case lightly. We are expending all available resources to identify and apprehend the perpetrators.”

Dev Kumar also made a fresh call to potential witnesses of the fatal shooting to contact police.

“Sadly, no one who may have witnessed the shooting has come forward to shed some light on the description of the suspects and vehicle used.

“Witnesses should immediately get in touch with us by calling Miri District police headquarters operations room at 085-433730 or 085-433400 or investigating officer ASP Lee Chee Keat at 012-3436388.”

Meanwhile, Miri police chief ACP Junaidi Bujang yesterday said Bill died due to gunshot to his right neck.

Based on the post-mortem done yesterday, two pellets were found in the wound on his right neck, he said.

“Bill died on the spot.”

When asked how many shots were fired at him, Junaidi replied: “I cannot give further details on the case to avoid speculations that may jeopardise investigation.”

The post-mortem on Bill’s remains was carried out yesterday morning, and his body was handed over to his family at about 4pm.

The body was later brought to his home in Senadin.

Bill is expected to be laid to rest after Friday prayers at Batu Satu Muslim cemetery in Kuala Baram.