Friday, September 30

Duo jailed for robbing hotel guest


TAWAU: A 25-year-old IMM13 card holder and a 27-year-old local man were sentenced to seven years’ jail and five strokes of the cane by the Sessions Court here yesterday for armed gang robbery.

Judge Egusra Ali meted out the sentence on Adusul Hairun Julahmad and Alvin bin Abdul Samad for a charge under Section 395/397 of the Penal Code which provides for 20 years’ imprisonment and whipping.

The two accused robbed Peter Lau Tek Miang, 56, inside a room of Kingston Hotel on October 23 at about 7.15am.

They randomly knocked on doors at the first floor and when the victim opened the door they took out knives and forced themselves into the victim’s room before robbing him of an iPhone and Samsung cellular phones, RM1,300 cash and a Toyota car key kept inside a bag.

The first accused then kicked and pushed the victim into the toilet before they fled.

Adusul was caught on October 24 at a bus terminal at Stephen Tan Road and Alvin was detained the next day at about 11.30am at an unnumbered house at Kampung Vietnam.

In the Kota Kinabalu Magistrate’s Court, a foreigner was charged yesterday with using a fake temporary identification document.

Al Sadat Jalil, 24, who was brought before magistrate Stephanie Sherron Abbie, pleaded guilty to a charge under Rule 25(1)(e) of the National Registration Regulation 1990.

The indictment carries a jail term of up to three years or a maximum RM20,000 fine on conviction.

Al Sadat had used the fake document under the name of Al Sadat Aji and bearing the numbers 920802-12-6915 at Jalan Kionsom, Inanam at 5.10pm on October 28.

The court fixed November 7 this year for facts and sentencing, pending the production of facts from investigating officer of the case.

Al Sadat, who was unrepresented, was further detained under Section 259 of the Criminal Procedure Code, pending disposal of the case.

The same court sentenced a man to seven months jail for consuming syabu.

Rusman Guntul, 21, pleaded guilty to the charge under Section 15 (1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

The indictment provides for a maximum fine of RM5,000 or a jail term of up to two years, upon conviction.

He was caught for committing the offence after his urine tested positive for drugs on October 30.

The court also ordered the unrepresented accused to be placed under police supervision for two years.