THERE have been 36 cases of offenders charged under the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017 since it was gazetted on July 10.
Women, Family and Community Development Deputy Minister, Datuk Azizah Mohd Dun said the ministry had been collaborating with several other agencies to implement various programmes and initiatives towards curbing sexual offences against children including incest.
“These efforts include the Children s Safety at School campaign, namely the Sahabat B.I.J.A.K. carried out with a number of government agencies like the Education Ministry, Health Department and Royal Malaysian Police in spreading information on child safety from any sexual threats, including from their own family members.
“The National Reproductive Health and Social Education Action Plan (Pekerti) 2009 was also introduced to produce knowledgeable individuals with a positive attitude towards reproductive health and social issues.”
She said this in reply to a question from Alice Lau Kiong Yieng (DAP-Lanang) on the number of cases brought to court since the Sexual Offences Against Children Act was gazetted on July 10 and on the ministry’s plans to reduce cases of incest.
Azizah said through Talian Kasih 15999 and Childline, for instance, members of the public could report on any social ills including incest.
She said these phone lines were provided to ensure that any such cases could be referred to the relevant agencies like the police and Social Welfare Department for action.
According to her, the ministry also provided support services like counselling to the victims and family members affected by the offence of incest. — Bernama