Thursday, October 22

Police take former MEIO director- general’s statement over CIA letter

0

Fuzi inspecting guard of honour at Bukit Aman Monthly Assembly. — Bernama photo

KUALA LUMPUR: Police have taken the statement of the former Malaysian External Intelligence Organisation (MEIO) director-general Datuk Hasanah Abdul Hamid on a letter she wrote to the United States’ Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

Without revealing when Hasanah’s statement was taken, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun said police had also called several other MEIO officers to assist investigations.

He said police would also be taking the statements of several MEIO officers in Washington.

“We will later send the investigation papers to the deputy public prosecutor for further action,” he told reporters after Bukit Aman Monthly Assembly here yesterday.

Hasanah’s letter dated May 4 was addressed to CIA director Gina Haspel to request the United States’ support for the administration of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak if Barisan Nasional win the 14th general election.

On July 31 , Hasanah had called police to probe the source which leaked the content of the letter.

She said the content of the letter was not unusual or treasonable act as the mandate of MEIO was to protect the country’s security.

Asked on the case of 17 security guards in the Prime Minister’s Department suspected of stealing GE14 funds, Fuzi said police have so far yet to receive any reports on the disappearance of the money.

“No reports had been lodged by any political parties on missing GE14 funds,” he said.

A total of 17 security guards including a grade 52 security officer have been detained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on the misappropriating RM3.5 million.

Earlier Mohamad Fuzi presented the Jasa Pahlawan Negara award to 51 officers for their service and sacrifice to the nation. — Bernama