SIBU: Malaysia Taekwondo Association (MTA) has sued former State Education director Rakayah Madon for refusing to issue letters of approval for schools to release students to take part in the 6th East Malaysia Zone National Taekwondo Championship from July 6 to 8.
Sarawak Taekwondo Federation (STF) chairman Dr Henry Toh Yew King filed the summons on behalf of MTA through Messrs Wong, Orlando Chua and Kuok Advocates at the Sibu Magistrate’s Court on Aug 17.
STF, the championship’s organiser is an affiliate of MTA.
MTA secretary-general Eddy Tuan said they are seeking for compensation and reputation damages incurred by STF after the number of participants for the championship dropped from some 400 students to about 60 students after they failed to get the permit to take part.
He claimed that the action of the state education director also resulted in losses to the organiser as well as the parents involved.
MTA had earlier sent a letter of demand to Rakayah to seek her explanation as to why she had refused to issue letters of approval for the schools to release the students to take part in the championship.
The association decided to proceed with the legal action after Rakayah failed to respond within the stipulated period.
“We have to proceed with the legal action after she failed to explain or apologise to us.
“For the past five years when we organised the championship, we had never encountered such problem.
“Unfortunately, this year, the former State Education director refused to give the approval letters to the school to release the students to take part, hence causing all the problems.”
Tuan said that as a result, none of the schools in the state, with the exception of some Chinese independent schools and private schools, dared to send students to take part.
“Even the exponents from the Chinese Independent Schools and the private schools were sent by the schools’ parent-teacher associations,” he added.
He claimed that STF had followed all the procedures when organising the championship.