KOTA KINABALU: The Lands and Surveys Department’s enforcement teams raided a sand dredging and stockpiling site at Kampung Rangalau in Kota Belud on Wednesday during routine monitoring and surveillance work.
Its director, Datuk Hj Safar Untong, said two enforcement teams were deployed to raid the site around 11am on Wednesday after receiving confirmation from the Kota Belud Land office that the license of land dredging activity of the operator had already expired end of last year.
“They have applied for renewal of licence. However, their renewal application is put on hold temporary in line with the instruction from the Minister of Agriculture and Food Industry, Junz Wong to freeze renewal of sand dredging licence in Kota Belud temporary pending study and review from the Department of Irrigation and Drainage.
“Our enforcement teams had already warned the operator not to carry out any activity, including stockpile clearing pending further instruction from the government. When our enforcement teams reached the site on Wednesday, they were uploading and clearing their stockpiles.
“Our enforcement teams have seized a shovel machine and two lorries to facilitate our investigation. We had also lodged a police report on this raid and seizure. An investigation paper will be opened once all necessary information has been obtained,” said Safar.
“We will work closely with the Drainage and Irrigation Department with regard to sand dredging issue,” he added.