MP who allegedly molested minor not seen at Bukit Aman


KUALA LUMPUR: As of noon yesterday, there were no signs of the Member of Parliament from Perlis who was asked to be present at the Federal police headquarters (Bukit Aman) here to give his statement regarding an investigation into alleged sexual assault of an under-aged girl.

Media personnel including from Bernama who had gathered outside the main entrance of Bukit Aman as early as 8.30am “were not in luck” as there were no signs of the MP.

Perlis police chief SAC Noor Mushar Mohamed when contacted by Bernama yesterday had said the questioning session would be held at Bukit Aman because the MP was not in Perlis but in Kuala Lumpur on political matters.

It is understood that a police report was lodged recently alleging that a 15-year-old-girl was molested by the MP, but it was later withdrawn by her family.

However, police are still continuing their investigations under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017. The case is being handled by Bukit Aman’s Special Victims Unit.

In Kangar, Noor Mushar said the investigation was almost complete following police recording statements from 10 individuals including the suspect at Bukit Aman this morning.

He said police also recorded statements from the parents and a teacher of the girl and the driver of the suspect who was said to be present when the incident happened.

“We expect the Investigation papers (IPs) to be ready soon and sent to Bukit Aman for evaluation before they are handed over to the Attorney-General’s Chambers for further action,” he told reporters.

He added that police never stopped the investigations because the suspect was a VVIP as claimed by some.

“The girl claimed that she was molested at 11.30pm on Oct 20 in a car at the compound of Stadium Tuanku Syed Putra here and police received a report at 2.50am the next day.

“However,, the victim withdrew the report at 10.30am the same day citing she did not want to prolong the matter but police did not discontinue investigations since receiving the report,” he said.

Asked if there were elements of inducement or threats to get the victim, who hails from Mata Ayer, Padang Besar to withdraw the report, Noor Mushar said police would open an IP if a report to the effect was lodged.

“So far there has been no such report. I urge all quarters not to speculate or accuse the police of not doing their job.

“We act without fear or favour and at the same time we want to protect the victim from emotional stress or any disturbance because this case has caught the attention of the public,” he added.

He also said that more witnesses might be called up depending on the investigation.

“The MP concerned arrived at Bukit Aman at about noon and police completed recording his statement at 5pm.” he said. — Bernama