SIBU: No casualty was reported in an incident where a van caught fire at Salim Road here yesterday morning.
It is said that the van driver from Julau was on his way to send his wife to Sibu Hospital at the time.
According to a Fire and Rescue Department spokesperson, it was a passing motorist who alerted the couple after he noticed thick smoke coming out of the van.
“The incident is said to have occurred around 7.30am.
“Upon seeing the alert, the driver and his wife got out of their van, which burst into flames within seconds after that,” said the spokesperson.
Firefighters from the Sibu station rushed to the scene upon receiving a distress call, but could not do much upon their arrival as the fire had destroyed the vehicle. The van driver and his wife were unhurt, but were later taken to the hospital in another car.