Thursday, June 27

Adib was unconscious on way to hospital — Witness


SHAH ALAM: A retired soldier told the coroner’s court here yesterday that the late Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim was unconscious when he was placed in his car during the Sri Maha Mariamman temple riot in USJ 25, Subang Jaya on Nov 27 last year.

Mohd Hafisan Nordin, 33, who used to serve as a medical assistant with the Armed Forces, said there were signs of bruises on the right side of Muhammad Adib’s ribs until his armpit.

“He was unconscious at that time, I tried to speak to him but his pulse was weak,” he said when questioned by Deputy Public Prosecutor Zhafran Rahim Hamzah, who is also handling the inquest on the investigation into Muhammad Adib’s death.

Mohd Hafisan said that he was earlier told by a woman not to go pass the temple for fear that he might be beaten up.

“I was told not to go or I would be beaten up. While the woman was telling me this, I heard shouts for help to take Muhammad Adib to hospital. I saw about seven men carrying him and asking for help to send him to hospital. At that time, I was unsure whether to go in or not.

“Some people were gathered by the road side. But I got down from my Mitsubishi Storm vehicle and put Muhammad Adib in the bucket (back of the vehicle). He was shirtless and shoeless. He only had his camouflage pants on,” he said.

Zafran: Did anyone accompany you to the hospital? Mohd Hafisan: Yes, the ninth witness, R Narresh, accompanied me. He sat in the back with Muhammad Adib.

Zafran: Did you ask what happened to Adib? Mohd Hafisan: Narresh told me that (Muhammad Adib) was injured. He (Narresh) said he tried to stop the rioters, but they beat up Adib. He said it was so inhumane of them to want to beat up a fireman.

Zafran: Did you see the injuries on Muhammad Adib’s foot? Mohd Hafisan: I did not see as he was wearing long pants. I saw on his ribs and armpit.

Asked by lawyer Ahmad Taufiq Baharum, who is representing Muhammad Adib’s family, how he knew the victim’s pulse was weak, Mohd Hafisan said he knew it because he used to work as a medical assistant while serving in the Armed Forces.

“While working as a medical assistant with the Armed Forces, my job was to treat injured soldiers and provide first aid. That’s how I knew his pulse was weak. Based on my assumption, his injuries were probably caused by being hit with blunt objects, hands or shoes with hard soles,” he said.

Earlier, Narresh said he was extremely sad at not getting to meet Muhammad Adib again after he was admitted to hospital.

“I felt broken when I learned of Adib’s death. Although I did not know him, I was still hoping that he would wake up and see me. I went to Alor Setar for his funeral, but I was too late. I took a train, bus and Grab to attend his funeral,” he said.

Narresh, who is a volunteer with the Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM), said that as a witness in the case, he regretted the criticisms hurled by netizens on social media.

“As a witness, we must be ready mentally and physically to face the consequences, in this case I am facing mental threat. Don’t talk nonsense, we need justice for Muhammad Adib,” he said.

Muhammad Adib, who was also an Emergency Medical Rescue Services personnel from the Subang Jaya Fire and Rescue Station, was critically injured in the temple riot on Nov 27 last year and died on Dec 17 at the National Heart Institute (IJN).

The inquest, before Coroner Rofiah Mohamad, continues today. — Bernama