KUCHING: Investigations over the alleged abuse of power and corruption by Assistant Minister of E-Commerce Datuk Naroden Majais will be given priority, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Sarawak assured.
Its director Razim Mohd Noor said the matter would be given priority but his team would need time to complete investigations.
“Yes, I can give assure that his (Naroden) case has been given priority. Because a case involving a leader is sensitive, we are taking it seriously.
“But you have to understand; please give us time to complete our investigation,” he told a press conference after witnessing the handing over of duties between outgoing Sarawak MACC deputy director (Pevention) Zulhairy Zaidel and a newly promoted deputy director Chang Ching at MACC’s office here today.
Razim added that MACC had opened Naroden’s file and investigations were ongoing.
He, however, said the MACC had not called Naroden up to record his statement because they would have to check the veracity of the allegations or accusations first.
“We will only call him once our investigation is completed. How soon would depend on how fast we can obtain the necessary information.
“But under our standard operation procedure (SOP), we are given a certain period to complete the investigation papers,” he said.
He said MACC had so far received two reports against Naroden.
The latest MACC report lodged against Naroden was made by retired journalist Joseph Tawie on Feb 18, in which he accused Naroden of abuse of power and corruption. Former Padungan assemblyman Dominique Ng, who is a lawyer, assisted Joseph in lodging the report.