Wednesday, June 26

Mujahid condemns attack on New Zealand mosques

0

Dr Mujahid Yusof Rawa

KUALA LUMPUR: Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Mujahid Yusof Rawa strongly condemned the shootings today at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, which has left 40 people dead.

One Malaysian is reported to have been injured in the attack.

Mujahid expressed his condolences to the families of the dead and said he prayed for Muslims in New Zealand and elsewhere in the world to be protected by God from similar danger and threat.

PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim also expressed his condolences and sympathy to the families of the dead and described the incident as uncivilised and contrary to human values.

The Malaysian High Commission in Wellington, when contacted by Bernama, confirmed that a Malaysian was injured in the incident and is in stable condition in hospital.

In PUTRAJAYA, Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali strongly condemned the attacks and described them as terrorism against innocent people.

“I am shocked and saddened by the news of the shootings at the mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand. I condemn, in the strongest terms, this terrorism against innocent people,” he said.

Mohamed Azmin said he had been in contact with Wisma Putra on the need to monitor the situation in Christchurch.

Housing and Local Government Minister Zuraida Kamaruddin also condemned what New Zealand has described as a terrorist attack and expressed the hope that the perpetrators will be brought to justice.

“My condolences to the families of the dead. Hoping for peace to return to New Zealand,” she said. – Bernama