Sunday, September 15
September 16

Perak exco may be advised to go on leave – MB

0

KUALA LUMPUR: The Perak executive councillor alleged to have sexually assaulted his maid may be advised to go on leave, should investigations into the case be prolonged, said Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu.

He said the duties of the exco member could also be restricted to facilitate investigations into the case.

“At the moment police are just conducting an investigation, he has not been charged yet. As such, I feel it is alright for him to carry on with his duties but if the probe is going to take some time, then he may be advised to go on leave,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby yesterday.

He said this when asked on appropriate action to be taken against the exco member while police investigations were on-going.

When pressed further what action would be taken if the exco member is found guilty, Ahmad Faizal who also Tambun MP said the matter would be discussed at length with Pakatan Harapan (PH) leaders  before any decision is taken.

Meanwhile  Leong Cheok Keng, lawyer representing the Perak exco member said, despite the allegation and calls for his resignation, his client had been carrying out his duties as usual, adding that one is considered innocent unless proven guilty.

“It is easy to make a false allegation of rape but proving it can be difficult. In this case we have an alibi and witnesses,” he told reporters when met at the Ipoh district police headquarters today.

The media had earlier reported an Indonesian woman lodged a police report at the Jelapang police station last Monday claiming she had been raped by the Perak exco man.

Perak police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain reportedly said the exco member was detained on Tuesday to assist investigations but was later released on police bail. — Bernama