Tuesday, October 15

31 contraband cases brought to court since Jan 1 — Director

0

Sharifah Halimah (fourth left) checks a document with one of her officers during the launching of ‘Majlis Perhimpunan Setia dan Mesra’ of Customs Department. Seen on the left is Dev Kumar.

KUCHING: Thirty-one cases involving sale and possession of contraband items have been brought to the court since the amendment of Section 119 (a) Custom Act 1967 on Jan 1 this year.

Thirteen traders have pleaded guilty while the rest denied the charges.

Sarawak Customs Department director Datuk Sharifah Halimah Tuanku Taha said the 13 who pleaded guilty had been fined RM100,000 each, and the rest claimed trial.

“This operation is on-going to tell sellers and buyers the severity of the offence and the penalty that comes with selling and smuggling of contrabands,” she told the media when met after the launch of ‘Majlis Perhimpunan Setia dan Mesra’ at Customs headquarters here yesterday.

She said they would continue their efforts to eradicate smuggling activities in the state.

“As of June, our enforcement unit has come up with an effective and high impact eradication programme, like the joint operations with Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) on 18 luxury vehicles registered in Brunei, and the seizure of 14 luxury cars registered in Brunei recently.”

Deputy Commissioner of Police Dato Dev Kumar M M Sree, Marine Police deputy commander Supt Abd Rahman Mat Hassan, Inland Revenue Board deputy director (Kuching Branch) Wan Kamarul Wan Yusoff and MACC Asst Commissioner Barbara Panit were also present at the event.