KUCHING: Bandar Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii has said today that a patient suspected to be infected with the Wuhan coronavirus has been quarantined at the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH).
He told The Borneo Post after contacting the Health Ministry that so far, it was only a suspected case, and samples from the patient have been sent to Kuala Lumpur for tests.
He could not provide more information on the patient, pointing out that the ministry would issue a statement soon together with the result of the suspected coronavirus case in Bintulu.
“It is important for the public not to panic, as it is common standard operating procedure for those displaying flu-like symptoms and had travelled to China to be tested for the virus. This is not a confirmed case but precautions need to be taken,” he said.
“Let us wait for the official report and test results and not spread fear around.”
He stressed that those who are unwell and have travelled to China recently should be tested as a precautionary measure.
With the case here, there are two unconfirmed cases of Wuhan coronavirus in Sarawak to date.
The case in Bintulu involves a 25-year-old Chinese national woman who has worked for a Chinese firm in Sarawak for two years, had travelled to Wuhan on a business trip on January 11 and returned to Bintulu on January 16, via Kota Kinabalu.
On January 26, the woman became ill and concerned that she might have contracted the novel coronavirus as she had just visited Wuhan, she immediately sought medical treatment in a private hospital.
The private hospital then referred the woman to Bintulu Hospital where she has been placed in isolation for 14 days.
Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas who is in charge of the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee, yesterday said the Bintulu case would only be made known by today after the lab results in Kuala Lumpur are released.