Saturday, October 31

JPBN: China students barred from entering Sarawak in latest move to prevent spread of Wuhan coronavirus

0

State Health Department will take the lead in containing and providing medical treatment when the need arises. Bernama Photo

KUCHING: Students from China who are studying in Sarawak are barred from entering the state, the State Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) said in its latest directive to prevent the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus. 

It said in a statement last night that the order would be effective until further notice.

The committee also advised school children who have been to China especially Wuhan and Hubei province during the outbreak to undergo self-quarantine at home.

Similarly, it said employers should advise employees who have just returned from China to undergo self-quarantine, adding that the same applies for government officers who should seek further advice from their respective heads of department if they had been to China.

Health authorities are advising people to undergo self quarantine for 14 days to stem the spread of the virus which had originated from Wuhan, the capital of Hubei.

JPBN pointed out that it has directed the Sarawak Immigration Department to take the lead in monitoring all entry and exit points into Sarawak.

It said all visitors or passengers travelling into Sarawak either by air, land or sea must fill in the Health Declaration Form which will be provided on arrival or while onboard the aircraft, vessels or transport.

“Duly completed Health Declaration Forms are to be submitted to the Immigration Officer at point of entry together with their travelling documents (passport/I.C).

“Those who fail to submit the form or provide false information are liable to prosecution.”

It said if necessary, the Immigration officer on duty may refer the visitor or passenger to the Health Medical Officer on duty and all completed forms will be surrendered to the Medical Department for tracking purposes of the need arises.

JPBN also pointed out that the State Health Department will take the lead in containing and providing medical treatment when the need arises.

It advised those who have visited China during the outbreak to undergo self-quarantine at home for at least 14 days or seek medical consultation at the nearest government hospital if they develop symptoms such as coughing and fever.

JPBN said the police will also be monitoring those sharing and spreading false news especially in the social media.

“Action may be taken against those who spread fake news under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

“Irresponsible individuals are advised to refrain from sharing and spreading fake news that can cause public alarm and anxiety.”

For the latest update on the Wuhan coronavirus, the public are advised to visit the Ministry of Health’s website at https://kpkesihatan.com.