KUCHING: Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has appointed 11 Sarawakian parliamentarians into his cabinet, including Petra Jaya MP Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof as one of four senior ministers.
Announcing his line-up in Putrajaya this evening, Muhyiddin explained that he had decided on appointing senior ministers instead of a deputy prime minister as he wanted a “functional cabinet”.
There are 31 full ministers and 38 deputy ministers in the new cabinet.
Fadillah, who is Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) chief whip in Parliament, is also the Works Minister.
Besides Fadillah, Muhyiddin had appointed three GPS MPs as full minister, all of whom are from Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu Sarawak (PBB).
They are Datuk Alexander Nanta Linggi as Minister of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs, Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar as Minister of Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives, and Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri as Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture.
As for deputy ministers, five are from GPS and two are independent MPs.
– Mukah MP Dato Hanifah Taib (PBB) as Deputy Minister In the Prime Minister’s Department (Sabah and Sarawak Affairs)
– Kanowit MP Datuk Aaron Ago Dagang (Parti Rakyat Sarawak) as Deputy Health Minister II
– Lawas MP Dato Henry Sum Agong (PBB) as Deputy Rural Development Minister II
– Progressive Democratic Party president Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing, Bintulu MP, as Deputy Minister for National Unity
– Limbang MP Hasbi Habibollah (PBB) as Deputy Transport Minister
– Saratok MP Ali Biju (Independent) as Deputy Energy and Natural Resources Minister
– Puncak Borneo MP Willie Mongin (Independent) as Deputy Minister of Plantations and Commodity.
Ali and Willie had quit Parti Keadilan Rakyat during the political imbroglio two weeks ago and were rumoured to have joined Muhyiddin’s party, Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia, but this has not been confirmed.