KUCHING: Sarawak has today recorded its first Coronavirus Disease (Covid-19) cases after three people tested positive for the virus, said State Disaster Management Committee chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah.
He said in a statement that the two were among the cluster attending the “Ijtimak” (religious gathering) at the Sri Petaling Mosque in Kuala Lumpur from Feb 28 to March 1, while the third case is a family member.
All three cases were recorded in Kuching.
“Therefore, we are appealing to all those who attended that gathering and who are in Sarawak to immediately contact the nearest hospitals for a Covid-19 screening.
“So far, the Sarawak Health Department has tracked 236 participants and will continue to track the remaining,” said Uggah, who is a deputy chief minister.
He also advised those who had attended the event in Selangor to abide by the Sarawak Islamic Council’s directive, which among others instructed mosque or surau managements not to hold big gatherings except for the ‘solat berjemaah’ and Friday prayers.
“The State Disaster Management Committee would like to assure the public that the Sarawak Health Department is prepared to face any eventuality arising from Covid-19 in its designated hospitals namely Sarawak General Hospital, Sibu Hospital, Bintulu Hospital and Miri Hospital.
“Quarantine centres have been set up in Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu and Miri and are ready for operation,” he said.
Last night, Housing and Local Government Minister Dato Sri Dr Sim Kui Hian, after revealing that 235 people who had attended the event in Kuala Lumpur had been tracked down, said that the State Health Department was searching for another 200 people.