MIRI: The federal government has been urged to give priority to the extension of Miri Hospital when the Movement Control Order (MCO) is lifted.
Pakatan Harapan (PH) Sarawak secretary Senator Alan Ling said an amount of RM298.2 million had been approved by the previous PH federal government last year for the extension project which was to start by the first quarter of this year.
“We were thrilled with the approval but in the midst of arranging for the ground-breaking ceremony of the project, the whole process was delayed due partly to the unexpected political turmoil that took place in late February and the situation is still fluid now,” he said.
Ling stressed that the extension project is long awaited as Miri Hospital had reached its maximum capacity, especially in terms of patient beds, speciality services, operation theatres and even car parking space.
“From the official reply that I got from the Senate, the project has been awarded to a contractor and the construction will take about three years and three months to be fully completed,” added Ling.
However, he pointed out, it is learnt that due to the enforcement of the Movement Control Order in mid-March, the letter of award from the federal Public Works Department to the contractor had not been forthcoming, affecting the preliminary planning and necessary preparation to commence construction.
“So, I would humbly pray for the attention of Works Minister (Datuk Seri) Fadillah Yusof to give personal attention to this issue,” said Ling, adding he did not want the project to be further delayed.
Ling made the remarks when visiting Miri Hospital to witness the handing-over of 5,000 face shields by the hospital’s Visitors Board to the hospital on Tuesday.