Seven-straight virus-free days

0

Sarawak records full week of zero new Covid-19 cases, Bintulu now a green zone

KUCHING: Sarawak marked its seventh consecutive day of no new Covid-19 case yesterday, with Bintulu District being elevated to a green zone.

Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah said the latest development meant that only Kuching and Sibu remained as Covid-19 yellow zones, with the remaining 38 districts all classified as green zones.

“One patient recovery was also recorded today (yesterday) involving a patient who was discharged from Sarawak General Hospital (SGH). This brings to 546 the number of recoveries in the state, which is 95.62 per cent of the total number of cases,” he said in a press statement yesterday on the latest Covid-19 situation in the state.

Sarawak has recorded 571 Covid-19 cases to date, involving 17 fatalities.

Uggah also said eight active cases were receiving treatment – four in Bintulu Hospital, three in SGH, and one in Sibu Hospital.

Sarawak also recorded six person-under-investigation (PUI) cases yesterday, of which five were awaiting their lab test results, he added.

Meanwhile the country recorded five new cases yesterday, bringing the cumulative figure to 8,663 cases.

Bernama reported Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah as saying that four more cases had recovered and were discharged as at noon yesterday, raising the total number of recoveries to 8,465, or 97.7 per cent of the total number of cases.

T he number of active cases with infectivity was 77, he added.

“Of the five new cases, three are imported cases involving two Malaysians and one foreigner, while the other two cases are local transmissions involving Malaysians,” he said in a statement.

On the two local transmission cases, Dr Noor Hisham said they were detected during pre-surgery screenings at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Sabah, and a medical centre in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan.

Dr Noor Hisham said no Covid-19 fatalities had been reported in the country since June 15, keeping the death toll at 121 – or 1.39 per cent of the total number of cases. He said only two positive cases were being treated in the intensive care unit and both were on ventilator support.

He also announced the closure of two residential clusters yesterday – the Gombak Cluster and Cheras Flats Cluster.

“The Gombak Cluster was reported on May 18, 2020 following active case detection of Covid-19 positive cases at some quarters in Gombak. As at July 4, a total of 200 people had been screened and five positive cases detected involving Malaysians.

“The Cheras Flats Cluster was reported on June 1, 2020 following active case detection of positive Covid-19 cases at some flats in Cheras. As at July 4, a total of 144 people had been screened and eight found to be positive. This cluster had a positive case involving an Indonesian, while the rest were Malaysians,” said Dr Noor Hisham.