SIBU: The Movement Control Order (MCO) enforced by the government to curb the spread of Covid-19 has contributed towards a decline in the number of dengue cases by 45 per cent this year, said Sibu Divisional Health Officer Dr Teh Jo Hun.
According to Dr Teh, 153 cases were registered between Jan 1 till Aug 9 this year against 280 cases during the corresponding period last year.
“The 45 per cent decline in the number of dengue cases here this year was largely due to reduced human activity during the MCO. But this is also a reflection of good control of dengue in Sibu.
“As of yesterday, we had a total of 153 dengue cases compared to 280 (cases) over the same period last year,” he said when contacted today over the dengue situation here.
Dr Teh was also quick to remind members of the public to not be complacent and let their guard down against dengue amidst the reduction in cases.
In this regard, he advised the public to ensure the cleanliness of their surroundings including the workplace to prevent dengue.
“The public are advised to empty all containers that could hold water and (become) breeding places for aedes mosquitos at their home and work.
“Shop owners should be careful about unused toilets, flush cistern and stagnant water in toilet bowls,” Dr Teh reminded.
“For (residential) houses, water bowls for pets and chicken feed are often found to breed aedes larvae. Others include old tyres and pot holders,” he said.
The federal government had implemented the MCO on March 18 that required all non-essential activities and businesses to cease, followed by the Conditional MCO in May and the current Recovery MCO, which started on June 10 and is expected to end on Aug 31.
Businesses begin to resume under the Conditional MCO and more activities are now allowed but under strict government Standard Operating Procedures.