KUCHING: The 1st Leg of the Sarawak Sports Corporation (SSC) Sarawak Junior Badminton Circuit scheduled from today to Jan 13 has been postponed due to the spike in Covid-19 cases in the state especially in Kuching and Sibu.
“The organising committee has decided to postpone the event at the last moment due to the increasing number of Covid-19 cases in Kuching.
“As the city is now considered to be a red zone, the committee feels strongly that the safety of all participants and their entourage comes first,” said the organising committee in a statement yesterday.
It will decide on another date only when the city becomes a yellow or a green zone.
“We regret that all the preparations towards the successful launch to the first of this year’s 16 stages is now postponed. This junior circuit event will help the development of badminton in Sarawak and it motivates SSC working together with Kuching Badminton Association (KB) to catch up with this slight delay.
“Further notice about the circuit will be made in the coming weeks,” the statement added.
Over 100 players had registered for the first Leg and some players from Sibu and Miri had withdrawn in the past two days.
Meanwhile, KBA president Johnny Ng said the association had fielded about 30 players for the competition.
“After a year of no competition, this is a good opportunity for our juniors to demonstrate their hard work and as such l expect them to achieve good results.
He lamented that players had been motivated and looking forward to the event but “will need to wait for a bit longer to get into action.”